EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (EU-U.S. DPF), UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and the Swiss-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (Swiss-U.S. DPF)
What are the EU-U.S. DPF, UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and Swiss-U.S. DPF?
“The United States, the European Union (EU), the United Kingdom (UK), and Switzerland share a commitment to enhancing privacy protection, the rule of law, and a recognition of the importance of transatlantic data flows to our respective citizens, economies, and societies, but take different approaches to doing so. Given those differences, the Department of Commerce (DOC) developed the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (EU-U.S. DPF), the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF), and the Swiss-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (Swiss-U.S. DPF) in consultation with the European Commission, the UK Government, the Swiss Federal Administration, industry, and other stakeholders. These arrangements were respectively developed to provide U.S. organizations reliable mechanisms for personal data transfers to the United States from the European Union, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland while ensuring data protection that is consistent with EU, UK, and Swiss law.” (U.S. Department of Commerce).
Organizations that only wish to self-certify their compliance pursuant to the EU-U.S. DPF and/or the Swiss-U.S. DPF may do so; however, organizations that wish to participate in the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF must participate in the EU-U.S. DPF.
Understanding the TRUSTe Role
- TRUSTe provides dispute resolution services under the EU-U.S. DPF, UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and Swiss-U.S. DPF free of charge to individuals. For more information about dispute resolution and enforcement under the Data Privacy Framework (DPF) Program, please click here.
- To file a Data Privacy-related complaint, please click here.
- To learn more about the timeframe in which complaints are processed, a description of potential remedies, and other FAQs please click here.
- For more information about EU-U.S. DPF, UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and Swiss-U.S. DPF, please click here.
- To view our Annual Independent Recourse Mechanism Annual Report click here.