TrustArc is seeking highly motivated law students with a passion for data privacy to join its Global Privacy Solutions (GPS) team. We are seeking candidates with an “all hands on deck” mentality who can ramp-up substantively, work both individually and collaboratively, and do what it takes to #MakeItHappen for our company and its wide-ranging client base that comes to us for our privacy expertise and tailored technology solutions. Legal externs must be intellectually agile and able to self-educate on diverse areas ranging from GDPR/European Union data protection standards, to online behavioral advertising, to employee/HR data handling, to Asian data exports, to current FTC best practices for privacy programs, and beyond. Selected externs will use their analytical skills to support senior members of the GPS team, including by helping to advise clients on data privacy best practices, assisting in compliance with international data transfer frameworks, researching/presenting on evolving regulatory and industry standards, and drafting internal and client-facing documents. Comfortability with privacy-enhancing technologies is a must.
Externs will have the opportunity to work with subject matter experts at the forefront of data privacy. Externs will also have the opportunity to work with TrustArc privacy compliance technology solutions, attend regular team meetings, review data- and privacy-related contractual provisions, participate in company and team events, and help shape their growth as privacy professionals while contributing to TrustArc’s positive work culture.
- Obtain a firm grasp over TrustArc’s certification standards and international and domestic data privacy laws and regulations.
- Communicate with clients’ legal, marketing, and engineering representatives in a professional and timely manner.
- Verify the implementation of clients’ approved privacy statements, internal policies, and other TrustArc requirements on online digital properties.
- Draft, parse and red-line clients’ privacy statements.
- Conduct policy research and provide findings memos.
- Collaborate with internal TrustArc departments to resolve customer issues and improve solutions.
- Currently enrolled law student and earning course credit through an externship program.
- Demonstrated interest in privacy law.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills–including for use in our “Privacy Moot Court” sessions.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion when handling sensitive information.
- Professional demeanor in communicating with clients
Good to Have:
- Prior experience in data privacy or information security.
- Knowledge of the digital advertising ecosystem, internet marketing strategies, and emerging markets.
- Knowledge of internet tracking technologies such as cookies, SDKs, geolocation, etc.
- Experience working with websites and web based technologies
Externs must be available to work remotely at an average of three days a week dependent on hour requirements below: For Spring – Externs must be available to work at least 16 hours per week.
With over 1,000 customers worldwide, TrustArc has been helping organizations navigate the ever-changing landscape of global laws and regulations by simplifying privacy compliance and risk management. Hence why, TrustArc was named a Leader in the Forrester Wave™, Privacy Management Software, Q1 2020.
Besides awesome benefits, we offer a competitive base salary, great commission package, fun, and collaborative work environment with career growth!
This position is remote and reports to our San Francisco office.